…and the #SMCmoneytribe member of the week is… TRACI!
Happy Friday SMC readers! SMC reader, Traci from Flor inspired today’s post. I was checking out some older posts about how to get the most out of coupons, when she commented yesterday on a few lessons she has learned from watching TLC’s Extreme Couponing this past season. I thought they were great tips and I wanted to share them where everyone can benefit.
5 Killer Lessons Learned from “Extreme Couponing”…
The average person will not need to go to the “Extreme”. However, I did learn a few lessons and the series opened my eyes to a different approach to shopping.
- Purchasing items when they are on sale as opposed to when you need them. If you are a woman, you will need tampons. Purchase them when they are BOGO and combine with your coupons just makes cents. You may have six boxes under your sink but it is [almost] not doubt they will get used.
2. Coordinate your coupons with store promotions. Most stores do this regularly. Purchase two Sunday Papers (The First Sunday of the month has the most and best coupons). The double coupons are well worth the $3 price and there may be an interesting article in the paper.
3. The retailer with the lowest initial price may not have the best deal. If Walmart has BBQ Sauce for $2.98 ea and Winn Dixie has the same sauce $3.59 at Buy One get One Free. Winn Dixie has the best deal. You have saved $2.37 on WD BOGO vs. purchasing two at $2.98 from Wally-World.
4. You can use double coupons on BOGO items. You have technically purchased two items. If you have two coupons each for $1.00 off the BBQ Sauce, you can use both coupons. Therefore, you actually pay $1.59 for two bottles of BBQ Sauce.
5. I hadn’t really shopped at Winn Dixie in a while, just the occasional in and out run. However, with their Fuel Perks promotions and BOGO, they will more than likely be my grocery retailer of choice. My coworker recently saved $1.10/gallon on gas. Now you do have to use these Fuel Perks at specific gas stations but at $1.10 in savings, you still won’t be able to find a better deal.
It is a new way of approaching shopping. I don’t have a stockpile but I do see the logic in saving on what you can so that when you need to purchase fresh produce at regular cost you still have the savings.
SAVING IS EXCITING!!!
Like what you saw? Share the knowledge with the “share” buttons below.
Subscribe via email or RSS Feed for FREE updates
FOLLOW: FACEBOOK, TWITTER, RSS Feed,
Email SMC: firstname.lastname@example.org